[wp-hackers] Plug-in Repository Structure

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Thu Mar 3 12:26:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 15:14:22 -0800
Eric Mann <eric at eam.me> wrote:

> I want to confirm something before I go off and do it ...
>
> A while ago, I remember someone telling me that the only file you
> needed in the /trunk directory for a plug-in was readme.txt and that
> it needed to point to the appropriate sub-directory for the latest
> version in /tags.

That's correct, but there is something you have to keep in mind:

I personally dislike SVN for development, I use git.
This is my setup for development:
My git repository resides in:
/d1/development/wordpress/plugins/my-plugin/source

The SVN repository resides in:
/d1/development/wordpress/wordpress.org/my-plugin

I use the normal stuff in git, branches, tags etc.
When I'm ready for a public release I run a script. The basics of the
script:
- Tag git with the release
- Copy the tag to SVN:tags/release
- Copy the readme.txt to SVN:/trunk
- svn add SVN:/tags/release
- svn ci SVN:/trunk
- svn ci SVN:/tags/release

The reason for doing two ci's is I have ran into trouble doing it in
one. My plugin wouldn't show up on the Updated list on wordpress.org

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98

IRC: Ganseki on irc.freenode.net