[wp-hackers] Plugins and network activations

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 12:48:19 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 28 Jun 2011, at 13:43, Dino Termini wrote:

> thank you for your feedback. I'm actually suggesting my users to install Scribu's plugin before they activate mine network-wide. Unfortunately some of them still report that it didn't help, and that only the tables for the main blog were created. I guess I'll have to look into adding some ajax to my plugin. My only concern is that this should be handled by Wordpress, not the plugin developers :)

The correct solution is to not have a table per blog in a Multisite install.

Your plugin should either work with the existing table structure or introduce a global table because it needs to do something fundamentally different or not expect to work on any reasonably sized multisite install when network activated without manual work to create the tables.

Running through a table creation for every blog on a large multisite install is not scalable and is probably not what you need :)

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
50BF A954 E072 23DB B50A  A319 56C3 8FFF 9C72 AB79