[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jun 14 14:35:16 UTC 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Alexander Concha wrote:
> In my opinion, the presence of an ID does not matter anymore when
> speaking of human friendliness.
> I do not have any statistics, but I think there are many more users
> using search engines to find (again) some specific content than people
> who "like" to remember urls to type them directly.

There's more to user friendliness in URLs than whether or not users can navigate to a URL. For example, there is auto-complete in browsers, especially for people revisiting pages and arbitrary numbers in URLs can confuse users.

<soapbox>
Saying "it's not important anymore" is just a convenience so that the site developer can happily ignore an issue that they would prefer to be unimportant. IMO anyway.
</soapbox>

-Mike