[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

David Law wp-hackers at google-adsense-templates.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:55:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:39:56 -0300, you wrote:

>Thanks guys, I am convinced that the best way, at least while the WP does
>not updatethis part is to use the structure id / post as it should not
>affect that much in terms ofSEO but it can bring an improvement in
>performance.
>
>DAvid, when I talk pages are pages created in WP, but not necessarily state
>that havefewer updates.

The performance issue with using a permalink structure of just the
post title as I understand it is related to the post permalinks can
match Static Page permalinks (static pages are like your about page
that are not part of the archives, so not a post).

If you have a site with a lot of static pages (so not posts) it can
cause a performance issue.

I'm far, far from an expert in this area, so repeating information
posted by those who do understand database performance issues.

In my expereince if you have a site with few static pages and use the

/title-of-post

which is

/%postname%

the permormance hit is minimal. This is the best SEO permalink
setting.

If you have a lot of static pages and are concerned at performance
(maybe a cheap hosting account so worried about resources) use

/id-title-of-post

which is

/%post_id%-%postname%

or similar.