[wp-hackers] pulling a massive HTML site into Wordpress

John Black immanence7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:01:45 UTC 2011

On 6 Jun 2011, at 15:38, Brian Layman wrote:

> On 6/6/2011 6:32 AM, John Black wrote:
>> On 6 Jun 2011, at 14:21, Alexander Concha wrote:
>> You're probably right, but sadly the people I want to help are totally broke. In fact, revamping their web presence is part of my effort to save them from looming bankruptcy.
>>
>> As for me, I never make it to the end of the month without being skint. It sucks. I'm not being paid to try to make this port. Maybe I'd get a thank you dinner out of it.
> Just to inject a counter argument here.. From what I've read, you're looking at a very large project that, because all the pages are inconsistent, would be difficult for skilled developers to complete successfully, on time and under a reasonable budget.
>
> Your final end result - if you were able to complete the project successfully - would be a web site that produces the exact same results, except for being served by WordPress.
>
> Before making such a heroic effort, I would ask myself if there aren't better ways my time could be spent to help save the company from bankruptcy... The problem with such a large project, is that if it is only partially completed, the results are probably worthless.  Other solutions may produce immediate tangible benefits.
>
> --
> Brian Layman

Hi Brian,

There's some inconsistency, but it's not total. I would estimate it that across the 50,000 HTML files, probably 80 per cent require ripping author, main body of written content, date, category and one image. But it's true that the 20 per cent that vary makes this 80 per cent more difficult to handle, as you basically want one script to do all the work, and not to have to sift through 50,000 files. This is the challenge, but I'm much encouraged by what Alex has said. One thing appears sure: no way I can do this alone. It needs the input, somehow, of a skilled PHP expert.

As for what else to help this organisation; if there was another way apparent I'd have done it. They need to get up to speed with contemporary web possibilities, including building readership and making their content better accessible, as well as integrated into social networking loops. Wordpress has come on in leaps and bounds in this direction since I first looked at it back in 2005. I just want to help them make the move so they can take advantage of some of that.

best,
JB