[wp-hackers] Term Meta - Trac'd already?

Daniel Cameron dan at sproutventure.com
Wed Jul 13 21:02:50 UTC 2011

> Treating a term as
> an object, for example, implies that you can put terms into taxonomies
> themselves. Grouping the labels of other groups. This rapidly becomes
> crazy and doesn't relate well to other parts of the system such as the
> template hierarchy and the query system.

I'm having a hard time grasping what you're trying to protect: developers
from themselves or core contributers.

As a developer I'd appreciate termmeta, it sounds like there are plenty of
others that would appreciate it too.

> Honestly, sometimes it's better to just make a new database for your
> specific data instead of trying to shoehorn things into the WP data format.

It's not exactly shoehorning, shoehorning would be trying to do something
I'm already doing with ...

> ...custom post types and meta and taxonomies...

:) ... and it would be illogical to rebuild what's already available (minus
one table) because by default the API doesn't permit it.