[wp-hackers] please add a trivial patch for 15600 in 3.2.x

Bill Lipa dojo at masterleep.com
Wed Jul 13 19:59:43 UTC 2011

In a recent wordpress-dev chat I requested that the three line patch in
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15600#comment:16
be merged.  This patch checks for a null return result and avoids emptying
out the post contents if there was a regex error (the common one being too
much regex backtracing).  This is to avoid post bodies becoming the empty
string randomly when somebody has multiple shortcodes in use.

I was told that only critical patches or regressions would be accepted for
3.2 or 3.2.x.  Today 3.2.1 came out with bugs addressed like
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18046 to add some padding to the admin
interface.

Is there some sensible explanation why fixing padding in the admin interface
is important enough to do on the release branch, but adding a null return
result check which prevents erasure of the post content in reasonable
real-life circumstances is not?  If this is an oversight, could the null
return result patch please be applied for 3.2.2?

Thank you,
Bill

PS.  There is also a more comprehensive fix in that bug which is hopefully
scheduled for 3.3.  I am only talking about the patch in comment 16 for
3.2.x.