[wp-hackers] WordPress roadmap

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Wed Jul 13 19:17:34 UTC 2011

On 7/13/11 2:57 PM, Travis Northcutt wrote:
> I understand the desire for such a document. However, I think it would be
> dangerous. It would be encouraging expectations that very well might not
> ever be met.
That's pretty much the reason we don't have one. The annual core team
meetup generally maps out the vision for the coming year, and takes
input from the dev channel, forums, contributor working groups, etc into
account. When we met this year in January, it was a decision to try and
give releases more focus instead of a hodgepodge of random new features
(i.e., focus on performance, update experience, media, whatever). Since
development is largely driven by the people who write the code, and
because the web application landscape changes so quickly, by the end of
the year we usually find ourselves shifting the plan to stay ahead of
(or at least current with) the curve. Doing a multi-year plan would not
work well in this environment. Overall, the mission is to democratize
publishing, so the vision as we move forward will continue to evolve as
influencing factors (user requests, competitive landscape, technical
limitations, contributor interests) change.