[wp-hackers] site sections, distinct theme per section

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Mon Jul 11 17:09:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 09:46, John Black <immanence7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dion,
>
> You're probably right about multisite. I have two problems with it,
> however: 1) I really wish BackupBuddy played well with it. I can make an
> individual backup within multisite, but I can't see how to import a site
> using it. The tutorials I have read on importing an existing site into
> multisite are either confusing to me, or, if I follow them, don't work. I
> don't end up with the site I have externally, but rather end up facing
> starting from scratch; 2) I'm worried about incompatible plugins.
>
> If could solve problem #1 it would be an advance.
>
> I guess a third problem is how (given that I'm working localhost) I get my
> multisite online eventually.
>
> It's just scary.
>
> There really needs to be a cloning plugin for multisite!

If, by cloning, you mean copy an existing sub site when creating a new sub
site: there are a couple of (commercial) plugins out there that will do
that. Check out wpebooks.com for their replicator plugin. There are others
too. I even wrote a custom one for a client a couple of years ago.

As for developing on localhost, here's how to solve all those related
problems: modify your hosts file to fake your final site. e.g. add
127.0.0.1 myrealdomain.com
to your hosts file. On windows the file is
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on mac/linux it's /etc/hosts

That's it! Now all you need to do, when you have finished developing, is
dump the whole database from local and import the whole database to live.
Don't forget to ftp themes, plugins, config files, and content.

As for your original request. You can switch themes based on which part of
the site your are in using something like this proof of concept
http://pastebin.com/SESyAu0S

It's quite crude, but if your site is organised with distinctive urls it may
be enough

 Cheers,

Mike
--