[wp-hackers] Hybrid WP mobile apps

Jorge Bernal jorge at automattic.com
Mon Jul 11 11:06:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM,  <> wrote:
> Therefore, I think it would be a good idea to start thinking about moving at
> least part of the code to HTML5, as this article suggests:
>
> http://venturebeat.com/2011/07/08/hybrid-mobile-apps-take-off-as-html5-vs-native-debate-continues/

Great to see interest there, I was planning to bring this up on the
3.3 dev meeting.
I think native apps still make sense, not only for access to hardware,
but also to optimize the experience at some points (background
uploading, notifications, offline, performance, ...)
That said I think parts of the apps could use more html5 and we have
plans to at least experiment with that and see how it goes.

What I'd like to see is a wp-admin that works as nicely as possible on
mobile devices. You're probably not going to get a wysiwyg editor or
file upload from the browser, but the rest of the features should be
available.

Once we have that, we can truly focus on simplicity on the mobile apps
and having only the things that make most sense to have in a native
way (e.g.: Quick Photo, QuickPress-like posting, notifications,
comment moderation,...), and then maybe integrate the full dashboard
in a hybrid way (or just send the user to the browser)

Jorge Bernal | jbernal at gmail.com | jorge at automattic.com
Mobile Engineer @ Automattic | http://automattic.com/

http://jorgebernal.info/ | http://jorgebernal.es/ | http://twitter.com/koke