[wp-hackers] Hybrid WP mobile apps

Helen Hou-Sandi helen.y.hou at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 14:27:16 UTC 2011

> - Extensible screens for mobile sound awesome, but a little scary (bad code
> > will always be bad code)
> >

> By extensible you mean via plugins?

Yes - like I said, it sounds like territory that could be dangerous, but I
could see how the occasional mucking with a screen could work well for,
let's say, a CMS-oriented installation (e.g. a custom post type or similar)

> The way I see it, a hybrid app would still live entirely on your phone, so
> nothing changes in this regard. (Eventually, we could have some code in WP
> Core that would be leveraged by the native part of the hybrid app.)

I think I get your idea now - I was thinking more along the example of Bank
of America, where it loads pages remotely, rather than building the
interface using HTML/CSS/JS. The advantage of loading remote pages is that
it wouldn't require the users updating their specific applications to get
updates, but it does also eat up more data, I suppose.