[wp-hackers] wordpress auto update

Claude Needham gxxaxx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:08:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Konrad Karpieszuk <kkarpieszuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello :)
>
> question for wordpress core developers: have you considered the
> feature that wordpress will auto update automatically in the
> background? In the way, that blog admin dont have to even log into
> wp-admin. If new version of wordpress is available, will be silently
> installed.

Anything like this should definitely be an "opt-in" feature.

A plug-in that sends me an email telling me "Yo dude important update,
come visit me at http://www.mydom.com/wp-admin" would be preferred.
Yeah, it would mean several dozen emails in the in-basket. But, I
don't mind.

I have a few plug-ins that I need to wait a day or two after an wp
update for notice that all is clear before updating. That's only a few
out of a couple dozen sites. But, if those sites were suddenly broken
by a fully auto update, that would not be good.

But yeah, have my wp sites complain through email until I either
update or tell them to stop.

Just my 2cents.
Claude Needham