[wp-hackers] wordpress auto update

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Jul 1 14:49:11 UTC 2011

This is a little harder than one might think..
For example, users who rely on FTP Upgrades would need to store their FTP
credentials somewhere WordPress could access them, not a good move IMO.
Not only that, but not all plugins are compatible, yadda yadda, it's a
complidated situation and not as straight forward as it is for desktop
applications.. Web Applications are running in restrictive environments
which have umpteen different configurations.

It's not something I expect you'll see in core anytime soon, however, with
some improvements in 3.2, I can see a plugin offering point-release updates
(ie. 3.2 => 3.2.1, or 3.2.1 => 3.2.2) not that difficult at all and quite
seemless.. Watch out, you've got me thinking, I'll be trying out a proof of
concept plugin on that once 3.2.1 is released (as there'll be a point
release to test with then..)

Dion