[wp-hackers] Weird behaviour with comment_author_url and input placeholders

Mark Jaquith markjaquith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:06:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Lynne Pope <lynne.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> In testing, we have identified a problem with comment_author_url that occurs
> when people do not input an URL. For some reason, WordPress is picking up
> the placeholder text and saving it into the database, like so:
> http://EnterWebsiteAddress(optional)
>
> I'm having real trouble trying to identify why this is happening.

My guess is that you have some JS code that offers HTML5 placeholder
support for browsers that don't support it natively. It could work by
managing the value of the input and changing it onfocus, onblur, etc.
If it doesn't have code to properly clear the managed value and remove
the placeholder, that might accidentally get submitted to WordPress.
Or, maybe there is just a browser out there that is improperly
implementing the placeholder feature. It's almost certainly not a
WordPress issue, however.

--
Mark Jaquith
• http://markjaquith.com/