[wp-hackers] add_post_meta won't save unescaped data. Why?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Jan 25 22:13:09 UTC 2011

Unfortunately all the metadata API's expect slashed input data:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/meta.php#L45

I'm not sure why that was carried over into add_metadata() when it was
implemented, Ideally it should've stayed in add_post_meta() and friends..

But there you have it, It's yet another "backwards compatible" feature :)