[wp-hackers] profiles for authors with no posts

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 18:35:50 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I'm working on a theme for an online academic journal. Because it's
structured based on articles grouped by issue, I'm using a custom post
type for articles, and a custom field to assign them to an issue.

The problem is that by default the /author/authors-name/ permalink
returns a 404 if they have no posts - presumably this is purely based
on posts of the post_type "post"!

I can think of a few ways round this, but before I dive in, I thought
I'd ask - what's the most elegant way anyone here's achieved this?

Furthermore, is this an issue worth raising? I might be missing a Trac
ticket, but a quick search found nothing. Surely author profiles
should accommodate custom post types? What about pages even?

cheers,

Steve