[wp-hackers] Post Formats: Conventions/Standards for Content/Layout/Style

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Jan 11 18:40:14 UTC 2011

On Jan 11 2011 12:05 PM, Chip Bennett wrote:
> What conventions/standards exist, or are people beginning to assume, with
> respect to each of the Post Format types? The Codex sheds some, albeit
> little, light on the
> matter<http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats#Supported_Formats>
> :

My understanding is that the descriptions on the Codex page are merely
suggestions (in fact, I did some minor edits to the page a few days ago
to make that a little more clear). While I don't have any particular
advice, I did use the ideas there about the Link format when I was
setting up the WordPreh site.

In particular, I created a custom function to extract the first link out
of the content, and consider that "the" link for the post. It will look
for either a URL on a line by itself, or the first <a href="..."> in the
content. In our particular case, we make the post title on the homepage
link to "the" URL for a Link-formatted article.

When I get a chance to write it up, I'll share the code for the function.

As for the rest of the Format types, the visual presentation, and how to
actually provide the content, is really going to be up to the themer.
I'm sure that there will be themes that expect different markup for
chats, etc.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/