[wp-hackers] Post Formats: Conventions/Standards for Content/Layout/Style

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jan 11 17:57:18 UTC 2011

> On 11 January 2011 12:05, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
>> Aside: to me, a "Facebook note update" is equivalent to a blog post.
>> (Perhaps that's merely due to the way that I use Facebook notes?) I think
>> of an "aside" more of a "pullquote" or longer-than-microblog (i.e. "status")
>> comment or thought. Nevertheless, we have one bit of useful information
>> regarding convention: no Title.
>

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> For the aside, I would expect it to be a short post without a title, ie. not
> a status ("I'm doing such and such") but rather a quick post ("Went to
> restauraunt xx and found their food to be wonderful, blahblahblahblah, and
> ends up being about a paragraph long")

I have to agree with Chip.

I think what might be what most people think of as an "aside" is not how WordPress has defined it. What WordPress is calling an "aside" seems to be to be more of a "random-thought."

I would see an aside being stored in a custom field and formatted for use in a post, not as being a post by itself.  And I could see multiple asides for a post; i.e. pull-quotes of content that is out of context of the normal flow of a blog post.

It's certainly okay for the WordPress team to create a WordPress-specific definition of the term "aside" but in doing so that means many people may have to unlearn what they already think of an "aside" to be.

But Chip and I could be wrong; maybe what we think of as an aside is in the minority?  Here's a clue:

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:aside

Or better yet we someone could ask the English pedants here what is the most common use?  Clearly their view would be less biased towards a WordPress-specific definition?

http://english.stackexchange.com/

FWIW.

-Mike