[wp-hackers] Looking for best practices in how to deal with translations as a plugin developer

José Fontainhas jfontainhas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 08:28:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

Every new version of the plugin needs a new .pot (as line numbers for
strings change between versions). The usual (but not mandatory)
practice is to create a lang folder for your plugin which contains the
.pot file, so that translators can create their languages' .po and .mo
files there, and send them to you, if you want to distribute them
along with the plugin.

Creating a .pot file is not a big hassle and takes a few seconds.

Zé