[wp-hackers] post format types

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Jan 7 03:07:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM, 24/7 <24-7 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Why not simply making a plugin for "audio" (who likes sitting in front
> of a screen ... listening?) and "chat" (what are you posting in there?
> you irc chats or your textmessage chat with your girlfriend?)* and see
> how much attention that gets?

You can do that too. If you like. There's several plugins to add audio
players to WordPress post displays. It's easy enough to do. See
http://ottopress.com/2010/how-to-add-audio-to-wordpress-posts/

However, "audio" is a perfectly suited format for podcasting purposes.
Also remember that posts can be queried by the format as well. So
audio would be useful in that case, to display a list of audio posts
for a podcasting blog.

> From a theme designers point of view, this is going to
> become a whole load of work (and some new admin panels).

You don't have to support all of them. Heck, I expect most themes
won't support anything but the basics of aside and gallery.

> * I don't use Tumblr and really only know the name. Are the currently
> registered post format taxonomies the exact same as those from Tumblr?

No. WordPress adds aside, status, and gallery to their list.

See here: http://ottopress.com/2010/post-types-and-formats-and-taxonomies-oh-my/

-Otto