[wp-hackers] post format types

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Thu Jan 6 21:09:44 UTC 2011

On 1/6/2011 3:38 PM, Otto wrote:
> No, the list is not alterable. Nor pluggable, filterable, or
> actionable. The list is the list.
>
> If you want to go outside the list, then go outside it completely. You
> cannot add to the list of post formats.
>
> -Otto

OK I can live without those boundaries, and since that's the feature in
a nutshell for this release, let's modify the codex to make that clear.

Whereas it currently reads:
"Post Format is a theme feature introduced with Version 3.1. Formats are
meta information that can be used by themes to customize presentation of
a post. The basic idea is to provide a specific method for specifying
the display "format" of a post. This replaces the need to use categories
to accomplish the same thing, and even more importantly, is portable
between themes that support those formats!"

Would this be clearer:
"Post Formats is a theme feature introduced with Version 3.1. A Post
Format is a piece of meta information that can be used by a theme to
customize its presentation of a post. The Post Formats feature provides
a standardized list of formats that are available to all themes that
support the feature.  Themes are not required to support every format on
the list.  New formats cannot be introduced.  The standardization of
this list provides both compatibility between numerous themes and the
ability for external blogging tool access to this feature in a
consistent fashion."

Does that accurately cover it?

--
Brian Layman