[wp-hackers] post format types

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jan 6 18:29:15 UTC 2011

No, you can not create custom Post Formats. Giving theme the ability
to make their own post formats would defeat the whole purpose of post
formats.

If you want to make your own post formats, then:
a) Roll your own taxonomy to do it (like mytheme-formats), and
b) Don't support the normal post formats (thus not giving two format
choices to your users).

That way, you can have your own meta box for users to choose from your
theme's post formats and there's no confusion. You get full
customizability.

Of course, if you do this, then people using your theme won't have
post formats that are compatible with every other theme. But then that
would be the case with any implementation of a "custom post format" as
well, since other themes wouldn't necessarily support your post
formats there either. The roll-your-own-taxo method is a lot clearer
about it though.

Note that any theme could have rolled their own post-formats with a
custom taxonomy at any time prior to core post-format support. None
did. Why? Because without a standard set to choose from, nobody would
have been compatible with anybody else. Compatibility amongst themes
is the reason for post-formats, and the reason you don't want to have
custom ones.

-Otto