[wp-hackers] wp_remote_request not telling me the 301'd URL

Scott Kingsley Clark scott at skcdev.com
Mon Feb 28 23:22:42 UTC 2011

Actually, this is in regards to a plugin I'm currently developing. It's in
Beta right now but it's available on WP.org. It's called Search Engine and
it's like a mini-Google on your site. It spiders your site (or other sites
too) and indexes content into the DB.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-engine/

<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-engine/>The use-case is that I
want to be able to tell whether a page that's linked to on a site, is really
redirected elsewhere. Right now, since I switched to wp_remote_request, I
only get the content of the final destination page, without any knowledge of
the path it's taken. So the best my script (or any script) can tell is that
when you get content using wp_remote_request and it's redirected, there page
exists at the URL requested -- oblivious to the real redirect happening.
Previously I was using a home-brewed version similar
to wp_remote_request but calling cURL and others manually).

So it looks like right now I'll need to do a little extra code to make my
own wp_remote_request like function which does both the 301/302 redirect
headers check and the body content return.

-Scott