[wp-hackers] Plugin usage info

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Feb 28 06:21:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Mark E <mark at simplercomputing.net> wrote:

> Is that really necessary to determine if plugins, themes, and core need
> an update? Nope.

You are re-hashing comments from literally four years ago. We're normally
really good about answering questions and addressing concerns over and over
again, but it's time to go search the archives.

Ultimately, we're not unique in having the application send any of this
data. We're also not unique in building aggregate stats from this data. And
it's been done in some form since WordPress 2.3 as a way to directly and
indirectly improve user experience for users of individual WordPress
installs as well as those browsing WordPress.org.

The data sent by the plugin and theme checks is used to ensure we're
absolutely positive we have the right plugin. Name, author, the URL fields,
version (obviously), etc., are all used. Data is then held on the WP.org
grid while it is aggregated and normalized for WP.org plugin stats, then
discarded.

The data sent by the core checks is collectively used to determine which
upgrade package to serve. Some data points are also used for aggregate
stats, which we use to make important decisions such as when to drop PHP4
support.

You can block all outgoing HTTP requests. Or you can block just these. You
can also remove a plugin or theme from the update check:
http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/excluding-your-plugin-or-theme-from-update-checks/
.

Regards,
Nacin