[wp-hackers] Plugin usage info

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Mon Feb 28 05:14:55 UTC 2011

On 02/25/2011 03:03 PM, Ryan Bilesky wrote:
> I think the closest you can get is how many downloads.  Otherwise wordpress
> would have to send communication to the wordpress server on every activation
> and deactivation of plugins on every site.

For those who haven't looked under the hood, a WP installation routinely
and regularly sends a list of active plugins (and other info) to
wordpress.org - whether you like it or not. So those stats (and a lot
more) is available within the realms of Automattic.

And incidentally, that violates many companies' internal information
disclosure policies.