[wp-hackers] Force plugin to add code only where really needed

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Tue Feb 22 15:20:29 UTC 2011

The practice you're referring to, where only a few developers use the
appropriate functions and hooks, is a result of *bad code*.  WordPress has
all the hooks in place for developers to add their scripts and styles only
where they should (rather than on every page load), but a lot of us are lazy
and don't do things the right way the first time, much to the detriment of
our users' site performance.

The easiest way to hook scripts or styles to a specific page is with
`is_page()`:

if( is_page('x')) { ?>
// YOUR SCRIPT STUFF
<?php }

You can do the same for `is_home()` and `is_frontpage()` and `is_single()`
etc.

The problem is that you can't dictate coding practices in core.  We expose
all the hooks, filters, etc necessary for developers to use clean code and
build quality systems, but there's no way to force them to.