[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 admin bar

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Fri Feb 18 05:14:34 UTC 2011

On 2/17/2011 11:48 PM, Mark E wrote:
> I can see it now, I spend 2 or 3 months developing a full blown
> high-end auction site (or whatever it might be) based on WP for a high
> paying customer, due to launch sometime soon (3 days, 7 days, who
> knows). The customer calls me up and says "Looks great. Everything
> works fine. But, I want you to tweak that menu before we launch" - to
> which I reply, "Sorry bro, WP philosophy dictates that I cannot do
> that as we're too close to launch. I told you 2 weeks ago we were
> entering RC versions. But don't worry, I'll fix you up in a point
> release some time after we launch."
>
> Rrrrrright. Guess what the customer is gonna say?
It's not a common "Open Source" mentality, but yeah, lots of large
corporations would expect nothing less.

You certainly can be flexible on a site that is being developed for an
individual. When you are doing that site for your high paying customer,
it is entirely appropriate to tell the customer "At this point, we need
to only make bug fixes and high priority changes so that we don't
accidentally break anything.  If this is a game stopper, of course we'll
put it in, but otherwise let's add it to the list of changes that we
want to make after the release".  You and the customer will decide how
that is handled, not "WP Philosophy" or whatever that is.

--
Brian Layman