[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Mon Feb 7 18:35:09 UTC 2011

Why not just take it to the point where we make a clean interface and
implement it in mysql and let the users write and share their implementation
for other databases. with time and testing, we can choose to integrate the
more popular and stable ones?
btw wont using the db.php need making something close to having POT kinda
files for queries for dbmses which have different SQL (oracle can be a good
example though am not sure if anyone will use it)

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2011, at 18:14, Matthew McGarity wrote:
>
> > The issue of too many platforms to test is mitigated if all of the SQL
> calls
> > are encapsulated in wpdb -- right now, that's not the case.  If you get
> > that point, I still think that you only develop WordPress to function on
> > MySQL, then leave it up to the third-party people to do the swap-out and
> > testing for their specific platforms.
>

> You don't have to encapsulate the SQL calls just ensure that they are only
> made via WPDB as we do at the moment.
>
> db.php drop-ins exist which rewrite the SQL to match another databases SQL.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Peter Westwood
> http://blog.ftwr.co.uk | http://westi.wordpress.com
> C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5

Regards
Piyush Mishra
http://www.piyushmishra.com/
Life's Short, Live it to the maximum