[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Mon Feb 7 17:23:50 UTC 2011

May be using DAOs will help. we can push all functionality to the DAO of the
respective db layer and simple inbuilt functions from the specific vendor
can be used where needed and in other databases, the same features can be
implemented at the code level??
Just an idea yet. but it seems good to me.
1 factory, 1 PDO or similar base class and few interfaces and their mysql
implementation will get us to where we currently stand with MySQL, we might
not actually need whole ORMs etc

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Brian Layman <wp-hackers at thecodecave.com>wrote:

> On 2/7/2011 11:49 AM, Piyush Mishra wrote:
>
>> With NoSQL picking up craze, postgre gaining popularity and WordPress
>> moving
>> towards being a complete CMS, its a move that we should make.
>> Propel might be a good option, may be DAOs.
>> But this option is good for progress of the CMS as a whole.
>> I bet people will start discovering new areas for improvement within the
>> core as they implement database abstraction.
>>
> Will they?  Admittedly anything that causes people to look at code again
> can do that, but would it introduce any major improvements? Remember - every
> feature that isn't supported in MySQL and all our "supported" database
> engines would be excluded from use..  Heck, we can't even generically use
> features that require MySQL 5.0 yet (assuming 3.1 hasn't dropped before I
> hit send).
>
> I'm really curious to see how having access to stored procedures, triggers,
> views will affect the WordPress Core.  I wonder where that rabbit trail will
> lead us.
>

> --
> Brian Layman
> http://eHermitsInc.com