[wp-hackers] Attaching photos to multiple posts

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Feb 2 23:08:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM, William Davis <will.davis at gmail.com> wrote:
> We don't embed images in posts, we query the post's attachments and display
> them above the article and in a sidebar (see:
> http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/02/02/news/bangor/roads-deserted-offices-closed-as-weekly-storm-hits-maine/).
> This is important for for several reasons, mainly that the content is then
> pushed to our print edition and I don't want to have to worry about
> stripping out cutlines and credits, also so that we can display
> different-sized images on our homepage (http://new.bangordailynews.com/) ,
> etc. We don't embed anything in the text of the story and instead use
> attachments to make sure all data is properly fielded.

Okay, that's great, but I'm not seeing why you can't just upload the
image again to attach it to another post? What's the issue with that?
Disk space?

What I mean is, what exactly would attaching an "attachment" to more
than one post really enable you to do? Because there's probably a
better way to do it than using attachments at all, in that case. Off
the top of my head, provide a selection mechanism that saves
"attached" images as postmeta. Or tag images and use some kind of
taxonomy scheme. Half a dozen different ways.

You need to define the problem before defining how to solve it. What
is the problem that you're wanting to solve here? Do you want some way
to select images from a thumbnail UI and have those then "attached" to
that post in some manner? Or what?

-Otto