[wp-hackers] is it a good idea to remove the category base?

IC IC icwordpress at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 01:24:39 UTC 2011

It seems like there are no performance issues with removing the
category base. This is from the responses I collected from you guys...

Comparing the two below, I myself don't see much of a performance
issue neither.

.com/category/%category%
vs
.com//%category%

so

.com/countries/USA
vs
.com/USA

In the above example, wordpress will look for a URL, that is /USA as a
category? If there was a match, then bingo.
It would not matter if you also had a page called /USA. That page
would never be accessible in this circumstance. So when you remove the
cat base, be careful with your page names!

I'm wondering how does wordpress match the current URL? What look up
does it do?

Is it something like

select current url from ?? where where url is a category?

And if we had the category base in there, would that SQL query be more
efficient?
Hard to tell.  It's still confusing to me...

What got me into this was Codex info on permaliks which states that
you can change the Category base and the Tag base, but you can't
remove them from the URLs altogether here!

My immediate reaction, there must be a wisdom behind it otherwise just
like they allow us to change them, they would have allowed us to
remove them as well.

Did they just not care about it and leave it upto a plug in to take
care of it? Is this conclusion final?

And if so, what plugin do you recommend that does this ( the removal ) right?

thanks