[wp-hackers] APC-Nginx-Apache problems / memory problems on VPS

Ian Douglas ian at powerfoundation.org
Sun Aug 28 17:21:22 UTC 2011

On 28 Aug 2011, at 19:12, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2011, at 2:50 AM, Ian Douglas wrote:
>> from $50 per month to $129 or $160 per month: from 1.9GHz and 1.3GB RAM to 4.2GHz and 3GB of RAM)
>
> If you don't mind me asking, what is the magnitude of your site's revenue base.  Is it essentially break even, or does it make 10x hosting cost, 100x, 1000x?  IOW, what's the cost of being down?
>
> -Mike

We're a news site, so being down is more critical than perhaps for other sites.

In terms of revenues, it is negligible. We can't cover costs, if this is what you're asking. We have been builiding on volunteers. But we got to a certain prominence because of the Egyptian revoltution, and we want to continue and to expand. We redesigned the site in order to better attract and keep readers, and we need it stable and robust so we can attract advertisers and run plugins like Ad-Rotate.

Our traffic is about 600,000 pages served per month.

best,
ian