[wp-hackers] Including only excerpt in search

Simon Blackbourn piemanek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:47:27 UTC 2011

> Nope, dont worked.

the regular expression was failing, this now works for me:

add_filter( 'posts_where', 'my_search_where' );

function my_search_where( $where ) {

    if ( is_search() ) {
    $where = preg_replace(
    "/post_title\s+LIKE\s*(\'[^\']+\')/",
    "post_title LIKE $1) OR (post_excerpt LIKE $1", $where );
    }

    return $where;

}

> I also examined the source code of relevance to see if I
> can extract only that code, but not found anything near that.

relevanssi works on a very different basis: it generates a table of indexed
terms which is updated when you save a post, and it then searches that table
rather than searching the posts table.