[wp-hackers] Multisite Remote Database

Andy Charrington andycharrington at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:14:33 UTC 2011

Thank you for your suggestions.

I tested the remote connection with the script you mentioned madalin and it
was successful.

I also then (DIon) defined WP_SITEURL and WP_HOME in the test site as the
url of the live site.

However i am still getting the following error-

Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

(which is what i meant by an infinite loop Brian).

I wonder if it has something to do with the domain mapping plugin as when i
go to the test url it tries to forward me to
http://TESTURL/wp-signup.php?new=TESTURL

Obviously that will never work...

I will indeed go to the support forums unless anyone has any further
suggestions based on the above?

I have struggled to find any info online regarding multisite & remote
database. Does anyone know of a site with info on this?

Thanks a lot

Andy

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au>wrote:

> by the sounds of it, You're trying to use the same database and tables on
> the live as the test site?
> If so, the only possible way that you could be getting a redirection should
> be through the canonical code, and even then, it won't cause a infinite
> redirect, nor will it redirect based on hostname.
>
> Try defining WP_SITEURL & WP_HOME for the local install since it's URL
> differs to that in your database.. see how you go..
>
> On 12 April 2011 07:40, Brian Layman <wp-hackers at thecodecave.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/11/2011 2:58 PM, Andy Charrington wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to set up a test environment for a multisite install and
> >> figured
> >> that the most realistic tests would be when done with actual data from
> >> from
> >> the target site. So...
> >> Would somebody mind explaining and/or pointing me in the right
> direction??
> >>

> > Leaving port 3306 wide open is generally a bad idea.  You'll eventually
> be
> > hacked or have a slow mysql server due to all the servers out there
> > continuously trying passwords.
> >
> > What you are trying to do will work. IF you really want to do this test,
> > figure out your hostgator IP address and then contact wired tree and then
> > can setup a iptables rule to open 3306 for only that server on your vps.
> >  Additionally you'll need to make sure that you are able to make the out
> > bound connection from the hostgator side.  It is likely blocked by
> default.
> >  If you have ssh access on your host gator account, I would use mysql
> from
> > the command line to make sure that part is working before trying to
> diagnose
> > more wide ranging issues.
> >
> > Beyond that you'll need to post to the support forums for help with a
> > better definition of what you mean by an infinite loop...
> >
> > Hope that helped.
> > --
> >
> > Brian Layman

Jealous Designs
Website:  <http://jealousdesigns.co.uk/>jealousdesigns.co.uk
Portfolio:  <http://jealousdesigns.co.uk/portfolio>
jealousdesigns.co.uk/portfolio
Phone: 07903030008
Twitter: _a_n_d_y
Skype: andycharrington

Web design | Web development | WordPress | Flash | Posters, business cards
and flyers | Bespoke online tools | PHP | MySQL | (X)HTML | CSS | Javascript