[wp-hackers] Image Upload Resizing in WordPress 3.0

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 21 20:11:04 UTC 2010

WP resizes images to three different sizes on upload. The thumbnail,
the medium, and the large sizes. The original is also kept around as
well. All three sizes can be specified on the Settings->Media screen.

Also, themes and plugins can define custom image sizes with the
add_image_size() function, for specialized uses in the theme. This is
often used for featured images or similar type functionality. I use it
sometimes when defining sizes for thumbnail images to use on
next/previous images in galleries.

For a max image size, the theme is able to define it's own
"content_width" size, which will make the image post-insertion
mechanism create appropriate width and height tags to scale down the
closest full sized image to the width of the available display area in
the theme. Themes can do this by simply defining $content_width in the
functions.php file.

Additionally, images of arbitrary size can be created using the image
editing features, after uploading images.

Long story short, there's a whole heck of a lot of image resizing
functionality available to themes and plugins, it's just a matter of
setting it up properly.

-Otto