[wp-hackers] The WordPress way to store temporary per user data (sessions)?

Austin Matzko austin at ilfilosofo.com
Thu Sep 16 07:32:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Ozh <ozh at ozh.org> wrote:
>> However, since in general WP tends to put temporary data in the
>> database (I'm thinking of WP transients) and has over time moved away
>> from core file caching, I would speculate that if there were to be a
>> WP way, it would be to use session_set_save_handler and define
>> callbacks that interact with the database.
>
> Why use transients and, in most case where an object cache is not
> used, issue an extra SQL query?

Someone might want to save sessions to the database if, for example,
her WordPress-powered site employs load balancing.

By the way, I wasn't suggesting that one use transients in particular
for session storage---just that saving sessions to the database seems
more like the "WordPress way," with transients as an example of that
"way."