[wp-hackers] Plans to modify /wp-admin/plugins.php for 3.1?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Sep 11 08:55:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> Thus we have at least 7 places to update and those are just the ones that I
> noticed via a quick scan; there are more places than that which could use
> some love.  Yes I was able to get the plugin working but I couldn't get all
> the links at the top to display without duplicating a bunch of code from
> core (which I already had to do a bit of.) End users would see this and
> certainly get confused.  So the shortcoming of those 7 areas it hard to
> extend the plugin page in a reliable and usable way.

I tried to implement the must-use and drop-in panels first as a plugin, and
stumbled across the exact same shortcomings.

I'm not entirely sold on the need for plugins to modify that page, though
that said your use case is an excellent reason why they should be able to. I
would welcome a ticket for this, tackling this slowly, one step/patch at a
time. One, three, and four can probably be rolled into a single whitelist +
filter. Restructuring that as an array would also allow us to avoid using
variable-based variable names, which is ugly. Two is a simple action; it can
probably be rolled into the same whitelist with some variable hook names.

A note, the bulk actions on all screens are filterable in 3.1. Some of the
other stuff (like 5 and 7) may be taken care of as well due to the
list-tables work, so I'd check.