[wp-hackers] Tagging Images in WordPress 3.0

Kevin Stover kstover at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:27:19 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on this list, but this is my first posting. I'm
developing a plugin for a client and needed some advice. At the moment, I'm
stuck at the point of adding tags to images. The images need to be tagged
separately from the site's main post tags. Would the best way to do this be
via a custom taxonomy? I'm fairly versed in PHP, but there are still some
holes in my WordPress db knowledge. As an old hand at php, my first instinct
is to create a custom table to handle the tags, but I fear this may not be
the best practice. What do you think? I should also mention that I'm
interested in writing something myself instead of just using an existing
plugin, partially to help me learn the WordPress db system a little better.

Thanks ahead of time for your help and advice,

Kevin Stover