[wp-hackers] Exporting Menus

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Sep 1 20:14:34 UTC 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Otto wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
>>> Totally agree with this, this makes local development of a site quite
>>> trivial. Just edit your hosts file (or run a local DNS or whatever you
>>> prefer to do) and point the domain name to your localhost, then set up
>>> the site. Bingo, a straight SQL dump will move over just fine. No
>>> tricky business with search and replace or anything else.
>>
>> That's not a full solution for me (and ignoring the many people who should be that skilled but are not.) I find myself constantly needing to view at least two of he dev site, the test site, the staging site and the production site in parallel constantly editing hosts is simply too tedious so I instead map domains like this:
>>
>> Dev : http://example.dev
>> Test : http://example.tst
>> Staging : http://example.stg
>> Production: http://example.com
>>
>> But, like Nacin said, everybody has something slightly different that works for them.
>
> Well, like I said, there's other ways than just editing the hosts file.
>
> If you use Firefox, for example, this comes in extremely handy:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/79492/
>
> That will let you create a separate hosts file for each environment,
> then switch between them right from the browser.
>
> There's probably other ways too that I don't know.

And like what some others said, what works for a single open source dev probably doesn't work in a corporate or agency team environment.

IOW this is no one silver bullet.

-Mike
P.S. The only time I ever load Firefox is when I otherwise don't have a choice; i.e. that I'm stuck and have to use Firebug.