[wp-hackers] GUID problem

Eric Mann eric at eamann.com
Wed Sep 1 16:26:27 UTC 2010

This is the problem inherent in using a URL as a GUID.  Even though multiple
posts might have the same post number (?p=57) I doubt they have the same full
GUID.  Try not to think of the GUID as a URL, even though it *looks* like a URL.
 http://blog.url/?p=57 and http://localhost/?p=57 really are different GUIDs
that refer to different posts ... even if one is post ID 57 and one is post ID
192, the GUID doesn't change.

For this reason, you shouldn't use the GUID as a short URL ... since the GUID
itself is a URL.  So I don't know what exact use case your client wants, but
that doesn't make sense.

To make sure GUIDs read as unique, maybe we should consider hashing the URL form
instead of storing it as a URL.  This way no one will confuse a GUID with an
actual post URL ... particularly when moving from site to site.