[wp-hackers] Deployment process (was Exporting Menus)

Vid Luther vid at zippykid.com
Wed Sep 1 13:54:48 UTC 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Tom Adams wrote:

> Each site has its own repository. With the gem installed, each site just has a
> lib/config.yml and a Capfile (all it does is require the gem, and do any extras
> you can't do with the config).

Sorry for harping on this.. I just want to make sure I understand.. so each site has a lib/config.yml right above it's document root, and you can then just do the cap foo magic?

>> I'll be playing with this sometime this weekend.  I've been meaning to see git sub modules in action, one of the things my clients won't like is their specific themes
>> up on a public github repo, but this is giving me some really good ideas on how I can deploy themes.
>
> I can see GitHub being problematic for submodules as they charge you
> per-repository. We use gitosis for our private repositories
> ( http://progit.org/book/ch4-7.html ). Since you host it yourself there's no
> limit to the number of repos or collaborators you can have, which is nice.

Agreed, but one of the things we promise our customers, and one of the reasons I chose WordPress is the complete openness. If people are unhappy with our hosting
or if they just want us to to do the PSD to Theme conversion, we give them full access, including revision history if they decide they need it, or know how to use it.
We don't want them to feel constrained to us, we want them to want to be with us :).

And, it's one less system we need to administer/manage.