[wp-hackers] Deployment process (was Exporting Menus)

Tom Adams tom at thedextrousweb.com
Wed Sep 1 13:46:07 UTC 2010

> Tom,
>  This looks really cool, I'm following the project now, I had question on how you handle multiple clients? is it a fork/clone per client, and you modify the config.yml?

Each site has its own repository. With the gem installed, each site just has a
lib/config.yml and a Capfile (all it does is require the gem, and do any extras
you can't do with the config).

> I'll be playing with this sometime this weekend.  I've been meaning to see git sub modules in action, one of the things my clients won't like is their specific themes
> up on a public github repo, but this is giving me some really good ideas on how I can deploy themes.

I can see GitHub being problematic for submodules as they charge you
per-repository. We use gitosis for our private repositories
( http://progit.org/book/ch4-7.html ). Since you host it yourself there's no
limit to the number of repos or collaborators you can have, which is nice.
--
Tom Adams
Developer, The Dextrous Web