[wp-hackers] Exporting Menus

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Sep 1 05:46:07 UTC 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 1:19 AM, Otto wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:
>> (In a nutshell, I prefer to map the
>> production domain to a local or remote sandbox. It's also how
>> wordpress.orgis configured.)
>
> Totally agree with this, this makes local development of a site quite
> trivial. Just edit your hosts file (or run a local DNS or whatever you
> prefer to do) and point the domain name to your localhost, then set up
> the site. Bingo, a straight SQL dump will move over just fine. No
> tricky business with search and replace or anything else.

That's not a full solution for me (and ignoring the many people who should be that skilled but are not.) I find myself constantly needing to view at least two of he dev site, the test site, the staging site and the production site in parallel constantly editing hosts is simply too tedious so I instead map domains like this:

Dev : http://example.dev
Test : http://example.tst
Staging : http://example.stg
Production: http://example.com

But, like Nacin said, everybody has something slightly different that works for them.

-Mike