[wp-hackers] Direction for custom taxonomy/post types

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Oct 18 18:49:35 UTC 2010

I'd do it with custom post types and a single custom taxonomy.

First, I'd make an album post type. This would have the main fields be
used (title would be name of the album, content would be the
description, etc). All the extra data would be custom meta data. You
could use a custom meta plugin for that or just the custom fields.
Cover art would be the featured thumbnail. That sort of thing.

There would be a custom taxonomy for album too, and the name of the
album (with possibly additional data like the year or something to
handle cases where there's more than one album of the same name) would
be added as a term to that album post.

Then I'd make a song post type, which did much the same for songs. To
include the song in the album, you'd give it that same custom term in
the album taxonomy. Thus a taxonomy query on the song post type would
be able to give you all the songs in the album easily.

But what you're looking at is indeed a fair amount of custom code
though, and it'd have to be done by an experienced WordPress coder.
Note that plugins tend to be generic, geared towards the widest
possible audience. When you want to do something very specific and
custom to your needs, then you're going to probably be the one coding
it or paying somebody else to code it. It's generally unlikely to find
a plugin that is an "exact fit" to your needs when the need is so
custom. You could probably hack something together with plugins, but
it will be what it is: an imperfect fit that you made work. It won't
fit your needs precisely because you have very precise needs.

-Otto