[wp-hackers] Bundled Plug-ins

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 08:40:01 UTC 2010

On 3 Oct 2010, at 05:17, Andrew Nacin wrote:

> 1. Akismet is free for personal use.
>
> 2. Regarding hiding the update nags for deactivated plugins: I've suggested
> this before, but the explanation I received was enough to cause me to flip
> my opinion completely. Some people will deactivate a plugin (or switch away
> from a theme, I guess) specifically because they are waiting for an update.
> I see no reason to offer an option in core to hide such nags. We want people
> to stay current.
>
> 3. I really do like the idea of latest.zip being re-bundled whenever a new
> version of Akismet or Twenty Ten is released. Feasible as Akismet is an
> external, but not feasible for Twenty Ten as it is not. OTOH, tags should be
> atomic, so I'm not really sure about whether it makes sense. I'll mention it
> to some of the other core devs.
>
> 4. Akismet is a plugin, and that is why it is on plugins Trac/SVN instead of
> core Trac/SVN. It is bundled, I grant you, because spam is a huge issue and
> Akismet solved a very important need when it was introduced. Having it on
> its own repository allows for its own release cycle. Twenty Ten is likewise
> on themes SVN because it can have its own release cycle. (We'll likely be
> releasing a new version soon that fixes some image styling issues, and works
> around an IE9 bug.)

If we were to rebuild the zip everytime a new version of akismet / twentyten was released then we would have to release a new version of WordPress everytime that happens

That just links them together in such a way that is not productive.

The best solution here IMHO would be for the "5 Minute install" to detect that the upgrades are needed at install time and to do the upgrades as part of the install transparently

This is the best solution - we don't have to keep rebuilding the zips, the users gets the latest version at install, the user doesn't get annoyed by upgrades straight after install.

If anyone would care to patch this it would be really great :-)

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5