[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:14:00 UTC 2010

On 26 Nov 2010, at 08:37, Peter van der Meij wrote:

> Everyone keeps talking about a db dump...
>
> My problem with this solution is that is you always have to find/replace all
> the url instances in the db.
> Because of the slightly stupid way WordPress stores it url's
>
> That's also why a db replication doesn't work!

A number of people have offered solutions to this already.

WordPress doesn't store it's urls in a stupid way rather it stores them in a way which is designed to provide the best performance on front end and feed views.

It isn't hard to setup a staging and development environment either using the same db as production or a different one.

For a complex site you are going to have to work against the real db to have any chance of testing reliably without duplicating your production environment completely which would likely be prohibitively costly for the little benefit it would bring.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5