[wp-hackers] meenews: obfuscated code

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Nov 25 14:00:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> That statement isn't legally binding.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Consult a quality copyright lawyer.

> The most obvious reason is the utter lack of
> privity<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privity>.
> For example, that statement is found
> here<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/>,
> but the request for SVN access is on a completely different
> page<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add/>.

Meaningless. Sites all over the web have their terms and conditions of
use on separate pages.

> I suppose there must be a legally binding way for WPORG to claim a
> non-exclusive right to distribute all repository-hosted code under GPL
> (which is essentially what they are attempting to claim with that
> statement), but the current setup certainly doesn't suffice.

Thank you for your opinion, however, I must point out that this is
only your opinion. Until it's backed up by a legal authority, it's
meaningless. Mine too, I will add. ;)

-Otto