[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Vid Luther vid at zippykid.com
Wed Nov 24 21:50:24 UTC 2010

Jacob,

On Nov 24, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Jacob Santos wrote:

> The point of Development and Production is to keep them separate and if that
> is not the case, then you are doing something wrong. The point of
> development is testing. Once that is achieved, then you move over to
> production.

I think the thing most people want is a simple way to develop/test some settings of a plugin and then be able to migrate those over to production, easily.

Sometimes, you want to take a live site and test a plugin with it, so you want the latest data to go from live to staging/dev.
This can and should be done with a simple export -> import, but individual plugin settings aren't exported, and sometimes a
plugin/widget that's on the live site is not exported either.

A full blown SQL dump of prod -> stage is the next option, which works, but by the time you get done testing your new plugin/widget/theme settings you have new comments on the blog, you have new posts on the blog, and doing another db dump -> prod is not the ideal situation.

People are just trying to find one simple solution to export those settings, as opposed to every plugin/theme having it's own export option. perhaps we just do a mysqldump of the options table? I dunno.