[wp-hackers] Multiple published statuses

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Nov 20 17:51:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM, William P. Davis <will.davis at gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't fully tested 3.1 yet, so I don't know if custom statuses are
> live yet (a quick google turned up nothing). If they are, how do I
> register one, and is it possible to create multiple public statuses?
> That is to say, I could have the default published status but also an
> updated status, for example, that acts as a published post but has a
> slightly different property. I dunno it this would be useful to many
> people, but I can definitely see a use case for this sort of
> functionality at least on my site. Some of this could be accomplished
> with the new custom post formats but they don't really help with
> organization, since it doesn't appear you can filter by a post format.

There are no custom post formats. Post formats are nothing more than a
taxonomy, which sounds like what you're looking for here, and would be best
to leverage.

Custom post statuses are currently weak and stiff. You can add them, and as
long as their public property is set to true, then they can be queried the
same as a published post. I would use a taxonomy, versus trying to go the
status route.