[wp-hackers] front-page.php always overrides home.php?

Austin Matzko austin at ilfilosofo.com
Fri Nov 19 22:36:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> The home.php is a (deprecated) override for the index.php file. We
> used it before we had the ability to set your own Page as the first
> page. No theme should contain a home.php any more, IMO, since you can
> now define any Page as the first page.

In what sense is home.php "deprecated"?  It's the first template file
searched for by get_home_template().

Also, being able to set the front page doesn't take away from the
purpose of home.php, which is to provide a template for the posts
landing page, which might be distinct from the front page.  The
home.php template if perfectly legitimate as a place to show the
posts' landing page.  Otherwise, if you have separate home and front
pages, one has to specifically assign a page template to the "home"
page.  The home.php template saves users that extra step.